Monday, October 12, 2009

Baking in Russia


First, baking for me in America is hard enough, so baking in Russia was a little difficult. In Russia, you cannot always find the ingredients you need when following an American recipe. And as if baking without all the needed ingredients wasn't hard enough, baking cake and making frosting for Sasha (who is allergic to milk) was even harder. Vera had this cake mix that could be made without milk, and it was in English so she asked me to make it for Sasha. Now on the front of the box is a picture of a cake with frosting. When Sasha saw there was no frosting on the cupcakes I made, he didn't want to eat them. So this morning I spent 30 minutes looking through recipes for frosting that doesn't use milk and had ingredients we have here at home. So eventually I found a recipe for brown sugar frosting, okay easy enough. No! You have to use a double boiler. (Of course, I have not idea what that is, so I googled images) So with my make shift double boiler, I made brown sugar frosting, and I am pretty proud of the results. :)

1 comment:

  1. All your posts look marvelous!!! Especially love all the pictures...I added your blog to my list on my blog!
    Love ya, my dear friend in Russia!

    ReplyDelete